The entire spectrum of publicly funded education relies on a diverse team of individuals. Every person on that team plays a key part in ensuring safe, clean and welcoming environments for learning, and in equipping Ontario’s students with the knowledge, skills and sense of community they need to succeed in a rapidly-changing world.
The OTIP Support Staff Worker Award seeks to recognize and acknowledge the integral part that educational support staff workers contribute as vital members to the education team and to student success.
Support staff work in many important roles including:
- Early childhood educators
- Office and clerical
- Custodians and trades
- Educational assistants
- Specialized educators
- Social workers
Applications will be accepted until June 30, 2018, with the winner announced in September. Our winner will be hosted at a fall awards ceremony in Toronto and presented with a personal award of $1,000 and a Certificate of Recognition.
Make a nomination
Anyone can nominate. A current or former student, parent, teacher, co-worker, administrator or member of the community may wish to recognize outstanding efforts by putting forward the name of a staff worker. Just fill out the online form to start the process.
Self-nominations or nominations of family members will not be accepted.
Nominations are open to all support staff workers insured by OTIP who work in one of Ontario’s public, Catholic or francophone school boards.
Multiple nominations will be considered as one nomination. The earliest received nomination will be used for consideration. Other supporting materials such as reference/supporting letters, videos, etc. are encouraged and acceptable as part of the nomination. Refer to full rules and regulations
Nominations open on April 1, 2018. Deadline is June 30, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
To nominate, simply fill out the online nomination form listing relevant information. You can also download a PDF version of the form to fill out, and mail back to OTIP following the instructions on the form.
To prepare and complete your nomination form correctly, please read these helpful tips. It will save you time and help ensure that your nomination can be considered by OTIP.
Making sure your nomination meets the criteria
Your nomination must address how your support staff worker meets all the following criteria:
- Workplace engagement - Makes a difference in the lives around them, responds to the needs of the community they work in, responds to the needs of the group they work with, and adapts to changes in the environment.
- Technology and use of innovation in role - Uses new approaches or adapts existing programs to enrich the lives of those they work with.
- Support of colleagues/education community - Is inclusive in teamwork, sharing of resources and support of others in difficult situations.
- Workplace well-being - Helps to create/support a positive work environment, and influences workplace well-being through attitude and actions.
Gathering information for the nomination
- Notify your nominee before you make a nomination. There may be support staff workers who do not wish to participate.
- Collect the following information:
- The support staff worker’s contact information, including official job role, address of primary employment, school board and local union name and number.
- Two additional references from parents, teachers, students or administrators who will provide their support for the nomination in a letter of support referencing the above criteria. Be sure to ask for letters of reference in an electronic format, so you can copy and paste into the nomination form and include contact information for your references.
- Any other supporting materials you wish to provide, such as photos, videos, or PDF documents.
Completing the nomination form
- In order to submit your nomination, all fields must be completed according to the directions on the form. If it is not complete, you will see red warning messages beside the incomplete fields. NOTE: Certain required fields have a minimum and maximum word count that must be observed.
- Click ‘Submit’ when you are finished.
An OTIP committee will review all the nomination forms, and develop a short list of up to 10 candidates for consideration by a final jury. The final jury will include representatives of educational stakeholder groups, as well as general supporters of publicly funded schools in Ontario.
Remember, the deadline for submitting your nomination is June 30 at 11:59 p.m. Winners will be announced at the end of September.
Application is closed for the school year 2017-2018. Winners will be announced in September in OTIP News. See you next year!