At OTIP, respecting your privacy and protecting your personal information is an important part of how we do business. We value the trust you have in us and we are committed to protecting your privacy.
Why we collect your personal information
Based on your request for certain products, services or advice, we may need to collect the following information:
- Name, address, telephone number and email address
- Date of birth, gender, marital status and family details
- Driving record and vehicle information
- Previous insurance and claims experience
- Details of what you wish to insure
- Details related to a loss or injury
- Medical and health information
- Employment and income information
- Banking information and credit rating
- Identification numbers (including SIN when legally required)
Depending on your request, the information we gather about you may come from you directly or may be provided by a third party (such as employers, insurers, driver licence authorities or medical/health professionals).
Depending on the situation, we may need to verify the information you have given us with various organizations. These organizations may include your employer, prior insurance providers, credit organizations, motor vehicle and driver licensing authorities, financial institutions and medical/health professionals. We will never ask for information that is not specifically relevant to your request.
If your information is being collected by telephone, the call may be recorded for quality and training purposes.
How we use your personal information
We will collect, use and disclose personal information for reasonable purposes that enable us to service you. The personal information we collect may be used to:
- Establish your identity
- Understand your needs and eligibility for products, services and benefits
- Recommend products, services and coverage to meet your needs
- Make you aware of new products, services and benefits
- Provide you with ongoing services, establish and maintain communication and respond to your inquiries
- Complete billing and accounting services related to our products or services
- Complete research and statistical analysis
- Investigate and settle your claims
- Protect you and us from error and fraud
- Comply with legal requirements
Sharing your personal information with others
In providing service to you, we may need to disclose your personal information to our service providers and authorized agents/representatives. In general, your personal information will be provided only to, and accessible only by:
- Our employees, agents and representatives who need the information in the performance of their duties
- Service providers who need the information in the performance of their duties for us, and to satisfy their obligations to us
- Any person or organization whom you have given consent
- Any person or organization authorized by law
We will collect, use and disclose your personal information only for identified purposes and with your consent. Consent may be implied or express, depending on the circumstances and the sensitivity of the information. You may withhold permission for OTIP to obtain, use or share your personal information and you can withdraw previously given consent as long as there are no legal or contractual reasons preventing you from doing so. By withdrawing your consent, you may limit our ability to or prevent us from providing you with the product, service or coverage you desire. We will be happy to discuss the situation with you to help you with your decision. If you have any questions about the use of your personal information, please contact us.
Protecting your personal information
We protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure by ensuring that necessary physical, organizational and technological safeguards are in place and that these are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
Access to your personal information
You may request access to your personal information at any time. Upon receiving a written request, we will inform you of the information we have and any fee that may be associated with an access request. In some circumstances, we may be unable to provide access to all information due to legal and/or privacy reasons. If this happens, we will explain these reasons to you.
Questions, comments, requests
We understand that protecting your personal information is important and we are dedicated to maintaining your trust in us.
Please contact us if you:
- Wish to access or correct your personal information
- Wish to withdraw your consent to the ways in which we may collect, use or disclose your personal information
- Wish to opt out of receiving communications regarding special product offers, contests, new discounts, coverages, products or services from OTIP
OTIP Privacy Officer
125 Northfield Drive West, PO Box 218
Waterloo ON N2J 3Z9
In the event you are not satisfied with our response to your privacy concern, you may contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by mail: 30 Victoria Street, Gatineau, QC, K1A 1H3 or call 1-800-282-1376.