From our experts: Preventing frozen pipes in your home
When cold weather hits, is your home prepared? We sat down with our experts at CURO Claims and discussed a popular claim this time of year – frozen pipes.
Q: What are the main problems caused by frozen pipes?
A: Frozen pipes can burst causing extensive home damage, such as ruined floors, drywall, furnace, furniture, and more.
Q: What are the most common claims you deal with due to frozen pipes?
A: Flooding and damage caused by the water. Our members will leave for vacation and return home to an unpleasant surprise.
Q: What is a key sign of frozen pipes?
A: You will notice that there is little or no water when coming out when you turn on your taps.
Q: What can homeowners do to ensure that their pipes don’t freeze this winter?
A: There are several precautions you can take to avoid frozen pipes:
- Insulate the pipes that run along the exterior walls of your home or within unheated portions of your home (i.e. in your garage).
- During extreme cold temperatures let the water drip slowly from faucets. Also, keep doors inside the house, as well as cupboards open to allow warm air to flow.
- Leaving for Vacation? Don’t turn off the heat! Take preventative measures such as installing a home monitoring system, drain the water to your home, or have someone check in on your home on a daily basis.
Q: What type of insurance coverage is recommended to ensure that a homeowner is covered if water damage occurs?
A: Most homeowner’s policies contain exclusions for water damage caused by freezing during the usual heating season within an unheated portion of your home. Within a heated portion of your home, the exclusion may also apply if you have been away for four or more consecutive days, unless you can demonstrate you took preventative measures such as:
- Having a competent person enter your house daily while you are away.
- Shut off the water supply and drain the water.
- Install a monitored alarm to your plumbing and heating system.
If you have any questions regarding your existing home coverage contact your OTIP insurance broker at 1-888-892-4935.