- Review your Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country coverage provided in your benefits plan.
- Determine if you need extra travel insurance.
- Contact OTIP Benefits Services for any questions on medically stable requirements.
- Discuss your pre-diagnosed medical condition(s) with your doctor before travelling (if applicable) to determine if there is any risk of complications.
NOTE: There is no guarantee of coverage for a pre-diagnosed condition or any condition. Claims are assessed at the time of claim and based on the information provided at that time.
- Just in case you need to call for emergency medical assistance, find out the country code of the place you are travelling to.
- Share your itinerary and emergency travel assistance information with a family member or your emergency contact person who is not travelling with you.
- Pack your benefits card and have it handy. On the back of your benefits card, you will find your plan number and the phone numbers to call for help.
Preparation is key for a safe, worry-free trip. By reviewing your travel insurance (government, individual and your benefits plan), ensuring a stable medical condition and having your benefits card handy, you can have peace of mind and make all the plans necessary to have a “bon voyage.”
If you paid any medical expenses up front, you may be eligible for reimbursement. You can complete and submit the Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country Claim Form.
To minimize delays in claim processing, the following supporting documents (if applicable to your emergency medical situation) may be required when submitting your claim:
- Itemized bill/invoice from the service provider.
- Release of medical records.
- Treating physician records from destination.
- Primary care physician patient records.
Be prepared for your next trip and download the free TripWise app from Allianz Global Assistance.
TripWise provides useful tools to help you:
- Navigate emergencies anytime you are travelling out of province/out of country.
- Track flight statuses.
- Locate trusted international hospitals via GPS.
- Find globally recognized names for prescriptions.
- Translate common first aid terms.
- Access emergency services contact information for your travel destination.