Start of school can be exciting and busy!
You may be wondering about your benefits coverage for the beginning of the new school year. Here are some things to consider:
Update your preferred email address, so you won’t miss important information about your benefits coverage and plan. Not getting our messages? If you entered your personal email address as the preferred email address, please add OTIP to your contacts or safe senders list. This will make sure that our emails are sent to your Inbox, not to your junk/spam folder.
Use My Benefits to manage your benefits coverage. Once you have logged in, you can:
Log in to My Claims to:
Update your coverage within 31 calendar days if:
- Your family status has changed, you had a recent life event (i.e. birth/adoption of a child, marriage/divorce, spouse gains/loses their benefits plan), or a change to your employment details. If you do not update your coverage within 31 calendar days, proof of good health (evidence of insurability) may be required.
- Your work status has changed.
- If you have started a new eligible position, you will receive an email to enrol in your group benefits plan. This email will be sent to you once OTIP receives your work status information from your school board/employer. It may take a few weeks to update your information in our systems.
- If you do not receive an enrolment email from OTIP within four weeks of your start date, please contact OTIP Benefits Services at 1-866-783-6847.
- You will have 31 calendar days from the date you receive your email from OTIP to complete your enrolment. If you do not complete your enrolment within 31 calendar days, you will be set up with the default coverage determined by the rules laid out in your plan. The default coverage may be minimal, or in some cases, result in no coverage.
With these reminders, you will have the benefits coverage you and your family may need.