Skip Navigation

News and Updates

Travelling? Check your benefits plan travel coverage first

If you have Extended Health Care under your Employee Life and Health Trust (ELHT) benefits plan, you are covered for medical emergencies while travelling Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country*.

What your benefits plan covers

Your ELHT benefits plan provides coverage for treatment required due to an unforeseen, unexpected medical emergency that occurs during the first 60 days while the patient is temporarily outside the province of residence. The patient receiving the treatment must be covered under the Extended Health Care benefit.

The coverage may include expenses for eligible physician and ambulance services, hospital accommodation, trip interruption/delay, and other types of hospital-related fees.

There is a lifetime maximum per person for emergency medical treatment. Check your benefits booklet for details.
The emergency travel insurance provider for the ELHT benefits plans, Allianz Global Assistance, offers immediate assistance to you, 24/7. In addition to the appropriate care provided by health-care providers on location, Allianz offers Emergency Assistance Specialists that can guide you to the most optimal health-care provider based on your condition and location. They will also arrange payment on your behalf wherever possible and share important information and next steps related to your claim. The goal of this coverage is to stabilize the medical condition and, when applicable, return the patient to their home province (e.g. if further medical treatment is required).

IMPORTANT: Take your OTIP Benefits card with you along with your provincial health card number. If you are currently travelling and need medical treatment, it is critical that you contact Allianz Global Assistance before seeking treatment if possible.

 What is considered a medical emergency?

When travelling Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country, medical emergency is defined as:

  • A sudden, unexpected injury or a new medical condition which occurs while you or your eligible dependent(s) (e.g. spouse/child) are travelling outside of his/her province of residence, or

  • ​A previously diagnosed medical or chronic condition that is medically stable at the time of departure.

A medical emergency ends when the attending physician feels that, based on the medical evidence, a patient is stable enough to return to his/her home province or territory.

NOTE: If you incur expenses for a previously diagnosed injury or medical condition that was not medically stable prior to departure, they will not be eligible under the Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country coverage.
The ELHT Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country coverage does not:

  • Replace the government health insurance plan (i.e. it does not cover routine medical care like a doctor’s visit or routine lab work)

  • Allow for elective, alternative or experimental treatment

  • Cover trip cancellation

In cases where additional treatment may be required, once the attending physician feels that based on the medical evidence, a patient is stable enough to return to his/her home province or territory to get additional treatment, AND the patient chooses to continue their travels, any related expenses to this travel medical emergency will not be covered by the plan.
Travel claims are paid directly by Allianz where possible; however, if you need to pay up front, be sure to ask for an itemized bill from the service provider and detailed physician’s notes including assessment of medical condition. You can submit your travel claims online through the Allianz Claims Portal for faster claim processing. This portal is available 24/7 and allows you to file a new claim, track the status of an existing claim or complete an existing claim.
New to Allianz Claims Portal? Create an account to get started.

Travelling within Canada

If you and/or the patient is travelling between provinces and requires in-patient emergency medical treatment (i.e. ward hospital accommodation, in-hospital care), there will be no charge to the patient.

For any other out-patient services (e.g. physician's fees), you can contact Allianz for assistance and/or payments.

  • Review your Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country coverage provided in your ELHT benefits plan.
  • Determine if you need extra travel insurance.
  • Contact OTIP Benefits Services for any questions on medically stable requirements.
  • Discuss your pre-diagnosed medical condition(s) with your doctor before travelling (if applicable) to determine if there is any risk of complications. NOTE: There is no guarantee of coverage for a pre-diagnosed condition or any condition. Claims are assessed at the time of claim and based on the information provided at that time.
  • Just in case you need to call for emergency medical assistance, find out the country code of the place you are travelling to.
  • Share your itinerary and emergency travel assistance information with a family member or your emergency contact person who is not travelling with you.
  • Pack your benefits card and have it handy. On the back of your benefits card, you will find your plan number and the phone numbers to call for help.

No matter where someone travels, or for how long, it’s a safe bet that nobody looks forward to dealing with a medical emergency while vacationing. Preparation is key for a safe, worry-free trip. By reviewing your travel insurance (government, individual and your ELHT benefits plan), ensuring a stable medical condition and having your benefits card handy, you can have peace of mind and make all the plans necessary to have a “bon voyage.”

If you paid any medical expenses up front, you may be eligible for reimbursement. You can complete and submit the Out-of-Province/Out-of-Country Claim Form.

To minimize delays in claim processing, the following supporting documents (if applicable to your emergency medical situation) may be required for review:

  • Itemized bill/invoice from the service provider
  • Release of medical records
  • Treating physician records from destination
  • Primary care physician patient records

If you have any questions regarding the travel claims process, understanding a claim decision, or need a status update on a claim, you can contact Allianz directly at 1‑800‑363‑1835.

Looking for more information and advice for travelers? Visit the Government of Canada website for travel advice and advisories.

In case of an emergency while travelling, call for help.

In the event of an emergency, get to a hospital immediately and have your family member or travelling companion call Allianz Global Assistance on your behalf within 24 hours of admission and before any surgery is performed if possible.  It is important to make the call using a landline phone if possible as your mobile phone may not work.

In case of an emergency while traveling dial:

  • Canada/U.S.: 1‑800‑265‑9977
  • Mexico: 00‑1‑800‑514‑3702
  • Dominican Republic: 1‑888‑751‑4403
  • Cuba and all other countries: Operator to call collect: 519‑741‑8450
  • International toll-free for participating countries only: Country prefix + 800‑9221‑9221

The 24/7 emergency medical assistance contact centre provides immediate assistance to travellers in their language of choice with:

  • Referral to local medical care and/or legal assistance
  • Monitoring of medical care
  • Paying medical bills where possible
  • Arranging medical transportation for the patient
  • Return home of dependent children
  • Communicating with family members
  • Assisting with replacing lost or stolen travel documents or tickets
  • Arranging for the return of a vehicle
  • Returning the remains of the deceased traveller

Be sure to check your benefits booklet for complete details on what is included in the Medical Emergency Assistance section


Travel emergency? Stay safe with the TripWise app from Allianz Global Assistance.                                        

 TripWise provides useful tools to help you navigate emergencies anytime you are travelling Out-of-
 Province/Out-of-Country. Track flight status, locate trusted international hospitals via GPS, find globally          
 recognized names for prescriptions, translate common first aid terms, access emergency services contact
 information for your travel destination and more with the app.

 Be prepared for your next trip and download the free TripWise app!

We encourage you to check your benefits booklet for details on what is covered in the Out-of-Province/Out-of-Canada section.

For Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and your travel coverage, check outNovel Coronavirus: Information for plan members.”

*If you or your eligible family members live outside of Canada, you will only be covered for Out-of-Province/Out-of-Canada coverage or Emergency Travel Assistance coverage outside of your country and claims incurred in Canada as a direct result of travel to or from work are not eligible for coverage. For example, if you are a U.S. resident, you will only be covered for Out-of-Country coverage and Emergency Travel Assistance outside of the U.S.

Related links:

  1. Travel coverage: What you need to know
  2. Ask the expert: When do I need to consider extra travel insurance?
  3. What travel coverage do I have under my benefits plan?
  4. Do I have trip cancellation coverage in my employee benefits plan?
Share this:
Need help?
How can we help?